Flying to Ireland

One fun thing about getting a google crome book is that I get a bunch of free passes to use the internet while flying. I want to take a minute and just write down my thoughts so far as we are literally on our way, in the air, traveling to our new home in Carrigaline, Co. Cork, Ireland.

With any big change in life, there comes a flood of mixed emotions. First off, excitement. I couldn't be more happy or excited. What a great opportunity for our little family to live in a foreign country and begin our new life together. There will be many great opportunities for us to travel around, see different countries and cultures, and experience life in a whole new way. So with this great excitement, I truly feel gratitude.

There are certain moments in my life of which I will never forget. Moments like waking up early in the morning before entering the MTC. It was such a strange mix of emotions knowing that I'd leave my family and live in France for 18 months. This whole experience of packing up and mentally preparing for our adventure in Ireland has been very similar. Last night saying goodbye to my family was very bitter sweet. My parents took us all out to dinner. Afterwards, we had a birthday celebration for Mom.



This is my favorite photo.
My boys will miss their grandma
and all the fun birthday celebrations
 we had at the Plothow home.
I feel very close to all of my family, I love them so much, and saying goodbye was hard. At the same moment, I felt happy and excited because I know this is such a great opportunity and what a great adventure. I was brave and didn't let my emotions get the best of me until I walked out the door. Then it all came out, tears streamed down my face, and I think I was going to completely lose it but then I saw Gregory and George. I couldn't cry in front of them. So I tried to cry quietly and slowly the tears stopped and I was fine. When we got back to Nelson's, Stan gave us all priesthood blessings. What a blessing it is to have the priesthood in our home. Stan's parents are both out of town, so we all climbed in bed together as a family in their room. It was a moment in my life that I'll never forget. The love I have for my immediate family surpasses anything I've ever felt.

My mom was kind enough to pick Stan, the boys, and I up this morning and drive us to the airport. What a fun morning it was. Because she arrived early to pick us up, she was able to walk over to the neighbors house with me where I received a shot to help prevent blood clots (being so pregnant there is a significantly higher chance that I could get blood clots while flying). It was nice to have a few moment together this morning. The drive was fun, there was great anticipation in the air, and we were all laughing and talking about life and the adventures ahead. Standing on the drop off location at the Delta terminal was not as fun. That goodbye was definitively hard. I love my mom, we are very close, and so we just hugged and cried. There was no being brave this time.

So here I am, sitting on the airplane. Gregory is fast asleep, George is watching the new Star Trek movie and playing iPad and eating fish crackers and whatever else we can give him to keep him entertained. Stan and I both have our computers out so life is good. We are flying from Salt Lake City to Newark New Jersey. We don't have a long layover so when we arrive, we must move quickly to the next gate with our stroller, backpacks, and car seats. From there we fly to Amsterdam, then to Cork. I hope all continues to go as well as this first flight.

à bientôt mes amis.

Comments

  1. So fun for you all. I am glad for all the updates,keep then coming :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thinking of you always! What an adventure, but so hard too. Goodbyes are so hard. Even though I wasn't overseas, I still remember the ache I felt when I said goodbye to my parents when we moved to Arkansas for 10 years. The Lord will always be at your side and help you get through the transition time. Love you all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Brynn and Lisa! It's almost 4 AM here in Cork. We're all awake, the TV is on, and we are just waiting until we can go downstairs for breakfast. We are living in a hotel until we can set things up in our new home. Right now the house is empty... probably need to buy some beds :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you made it safe and that everything is falling into place for you guys! So happy for your family to have this experience!:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Emily, we are slowly settling in. How did everything go for you? I hope that everything went well, and I'm just so happy for you and your beautiful family!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts