New Years in London!


Happy New Years! We had the opportunity to travel from Ireland to England. We spent New Year's Eve and a few days that followed in London sightseeing. New Year's Eve under Big Ben was great! And when it was Midnight the fireworks began. It was exciting to be apart of this celebration with so many others. It has always been a dream for me to spend New Year's in London, and this year that dream came true.





Stan and I first kissed eight years ago on New Year's Eve. Since then we haven't stopped! Just three weeks after our first kiss, Stan asked me to marry him. It was all very fast but truly a fairy tale for me. Every New Year's Eve I remember our first kiss, and the excitement that I felt as I fell in love with Stan. This time of year will always be romantic and special for us.





Big Ben




Buckingham Palace






 Tower Bridge






Museum of Natural History













Near our hotel and Hyde Park




Big Ben on New Year's Day



New Year's Day Parade











Our Hotel
We had the top floor, which meant a long climb up six flights of stairs, but other than that it was wonderful. The hotel was very lovely, and the boys and us each had our own bedroom suite. Honestly, Stan and the boys would have been happy to stay all the time in the hotel, watching TV and movies, playing Nintendo and other computer games. We stayed up very late each night, and slept in every morning. William was awesome and was happy to sleep in as long as he was right between Mom and Dad. We were happy that he was there in our large comfy bed since he slept so well. 

For Christmas, Stan gave me a kindle paperwhite reader, so when no one wanted to leave I was happy to stay in my pajamas and read. I'm currently reading the second book of a series by Brandon Sanderson, Words of Radiance. I did not realize how much I have missed reading and this is the second book that I've read since Christmas. Ireland, in the winter, is also a great place to cozy up to a book while it's storming and wet outside!





Trafalgar Square





The National Gallery
























London's Underground: The Tube











 More Tower Bridge








 More Underground





 More Buckingham Palace and surrounding area


































Even more underground














The British Museum



My mother's maiden name is Sainsbury. They have their own section in the British Museum, and I shopped at Sainsbury's a local English grocery store.













The mummies were very exciting for the boys. We spent a good amount of time taking pics of a lot of them. The boys were not satisfied until we found the mummies that didn't look like this, but looked more like skeletons.

WARNING: There are photos below that might be disturbing, skip this section if you don't want to see real mummies and skeletons!

























The Science Museum
This was Stan's favorite museum of the four we went to while in London. I have to agree that this was very well done, but I cannot pick a favorite. I love it all, the art, the artifacts, the history, and science. It is all intriguing to me.
















The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, Chapel in London




St. Paul's Cathedral London

After we checked out of our hotel, our last day in London, we took the tube to Marble Arch. There we took one of London's famous red, double-deck, city buses. We sat on the second level and the boys even got front row seats. It was a delightful bus ride from Marble Arch, through the main shopping streets which were decked out with Christmas decor, to Piccadilly Circus, Trafalgar Square, and ended up at St. Paul's Cathedral. We were lucky it was Sunday morning, because a ticket into this place was twenty pounds per person, but since we had come for the Sunday morning service, it was free. Plus we weren't with tourists taking photos, we were able to sit and listen to the beautiful music and sermon. It was nice. While living in London over ten years ago, I never visited this place, so it was good to have the opportunity now.








Comments

Popular Posts